The Omori Nori Walk
We will be holding a 10-kilometer walk event to the nori wholesale stores in the Umeyashiki and Omori areas. “Nori” is a type of dried seaweed known and loved throughout Japan as an ingredient in many foods, such as hand-rolled sushi and tsukudani. In recent years, it has been the center of much attention as a food with a remarkable abundance of nutrients.
Until 1962, Omori flourished as the center of nori cultivation. Even today, it is host to many nori shops and wholesale stores and is still a center of the nori industry. This walking course will take you around the nori shops and wholesalers in the Miharadori (formerly Tokaido) and Omori area, giving you a taste of the ambiance and energy of the once massive and flourishing site of nori production that is Omori.
Participants who gather three stamps set at different locations in the course will be given a present of mineral water and a special complimentary ticket to the natural hot spring Heiwajima. Joining up is incredibly easy. Participation is free, you do not have to apply beforehand, and you can sign up directly at the starting point at Ota City Industrial Plaza PiO the day of the event. You can find special limited-time bentos, light meals, and a variety of bargain-price nori at the stores and restaurants along the course. Come join us and enjoy the walk while taking in the ambiance of the city.
March 11th, 2017 (Sat) 10:30 am–12:00 pm (reception desk signup), 3:30 pm (goal closes)
Ota City Industrial Plaza PiO (Approx. a 3-minute walk from Keikyu Kamata Station on the Keihin Kyuko Line)
Big Fun Heiwajima (Approx. a 15-minute walk from Heiwajima Station on the Keikyu Kyuko Line)
- Ota City Industrial Plaza PiO →
- Ota City Tourism Information Center →
- Shopping area around Umeyashiki Station →
- Miya Itsukushima Shrine (the guardian deity of Omori nori) →
- Surugayadori (formerly Hanedamichi) →
- Miharadori (formerly Tokaido) →
- Keikyu Line Heiwajima Station →
- Shopping area around Omori Station →
- Big Fun Heiwajima
- Participation is free, and there is no need to apply beforehand (please come to the meeting place during the designated signup hours on the day of the event)
- No cancellation due to rain (cancellation may occur in the event of stormy weather)
- Please use public transportation to attend
|Dates||11th Mar 2017, 10:30am–3:30pm|
|Venue||Ota City Industrial Plaza PiO|