Things to do this Summer in Ota City
Don’t let the summer heat and humidity stand in your way of all the fun and excitement there is in and around Tokyo. There are quite a few recommended events happening around Ota City that you should add to your list.
Mizudome no Mai (水止舞)
One of Ota City’s long-running events having been around for about 680 years, Mizudome-no-mai is a traditional spiritual event that is known to “stop rain”. So on July 14, at the Gonshoji Temple in Ota City, people gather to take part in a ritual where two men representing dragons blow into their conch shells, and the dancers wearing lion masks offer their performances to the gods. It is also designated as one of Tokyo’s Intangible Folk Cultural Properties.
- When: July 14th from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
- Where: Gonshoji Temple
- Address: 3-7-27 Omorihigashi, Ota City, Tokyo
Floating Lanterns at Senzoku-ike Pond (洗足池の灯ろう流し)
Senzoku-ike Pond is the kind of place that can really be enjoyed in any season. A peaceful area surrounded by nature and wildlife. The pond has peddle-style swan boats and rowboats that can be rented to explore the beautiful surroundings from within.
In the summer a festival is held where people can purchase a lantern to light and float it in the pond for remembering the souls of their ancestors.
The illumination of the lanterns in the darkness of the pond creates a beautiful reflection of warm light and is a remarkable sight.
- When: July 16th from 7:30 PM
- Where: Senzoku Pond
- Address: 2-14-5, Minami Senzoku, Ota City, Tokyo
- Getting there: Take the Tokyu Ikegami Line to Senzokuike Station. The pond is a 2-minute walk from there
Kojiya Awa Odori Festival (糀谷阿波踊り)
The Kojiya Awa Odori is held along the town’s shotengai (shopping street) where roughly 600 spectators join – lined up 10 rows deep – to watch the dancers and cheer as they pass by. There are about 150 kids who also participate in the performance.
- When: August 3th and 4th at 7:00 PM
- Where: Kojiya Station (Kojiya Shotengai)
- Getting there: Near Kojiya Station (Keikyu Airport Line).
Anamori Inari-jinja Lantern Festival (穴守稲荷神社献灯祭)
The Lantern Festival at Anamori Inari-jinja Shrine features some 700 illustrated lanterns that line the inner grounds of the shrine and are lit up each evening for the three-day period. In addition to admiring the beautifully illustrated lanterns, you can enjoy music performances, bon odori dance, and a market selling local goods, held on the final day in the morning from 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM.
- When: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the end of August 18：00–21:00. The lantern displays end by Sunday noon.
- Where: Anamori Inari-jinja Shrine
- Address: 5-2-7 Haneda, Ota City, Tokyo
- Getting there: Take the Keikyu Airport Line to Anamori Inari Station and from there it is a 3-minute walk to the shrine.