History of Ota City
Located on the tip of the Musashino Plateau and facing both the sea and a river, Ota has been an easy place to live since olden times. As it lay on a major transport route, the ward is dotted with historical sites. These include the Omori Shell Mound, the Tama River Burial Grounds, and the five storied pagoda of Ikegami Honmon-ji Temple. Numerous traditional performing arts such as the Mizu-dome no Mai and the Negi no Mai dances also still exist.
In farming and fishing villages during Edo times, nori seaweed was actively farmed, particularly in the Omori, Kojiya, and Haneda areas along the coast. This continued until 1963. Lying along the Tokaido route, the area was always busy with people and horses. From the Taisho period onwards, small and medium-sized factories moved in, and lowland areas turned into commercial and industrial districts full of homes and factories. Ota became a section of the Keihin Industrial Zone. Residential districts were developed in the plateau area after the Great Kanto Earthquake [of 1923], with Den’en Chofu, Yukigaya, and Hisagahara being relatively leafy residential areas. Ota’s coastal areas are built on reclaimed land and are equipped with urban facilities such as industrial estates and a wild bird park, in addition to logistics facilities that include not only Haneda Airport, but also truck terminals, container wharfs, and markets.